Sunday, March 17, 2013

Moon Fishing



















The city lights wink, and cars bob over bridges.
I perch on my boat and cast a line into your rippling
reflection. What would we do, moon, if you visited?
If you popped up with my fishing line, smooth as an
Oreo cookie. It would only be for one night, because
I know you’re busy up there. 

You could be a beautiful balloon bobbing over my
shoulder. We could stroll by all the children waiting
for moon dust magic, the children who sleep on cold
floors and hide in the back of classrooms. 

You could whisper in my ear about what heaven
looks like, if the view is any better from up there.

We could dispel that cheese myth too, I know you
don’t appreciate it. 

Then we could glide by restaurants where lovers
snooze, and light up the dark office corners where
fathers and mothers hide. 

I could pull that flag out of your ribcage. I love
my country, but you don’t belong to anyone. 

We could slow all the young people that hurry, hurry
on, who have forgotten they still live under you.

We could cheer up the elderly who need to look at
something new.

We could warm the hands of the homeless
whose nights are cold and long. 

We could tell this frantic world to hush, hush, hush.
We could do a lot of things, moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment