Sunday, April 27, 2014

At the Louvre


 
2nd draft, discovered from 2012

The steady glow of morning
softens the sea of wood floors,
and all the portraits become strikingly clear
vessels in time.

I am a gaunt faced man who forgot
to shave his whiskers this morning.
Instead I woke up feeling hungry
and decided to go to the museum.

My legs propel me to my favorite spot:
Lisa, how she never changes.

But today, her sails are loose
in an ill-directed wind.
Beside her, a new portrait awaits:
a woman with two noses.

Lisa sniffles:
“Tell me, how ever do you sneeze?”

“Sneeze?”

“Yes, of course, sneeze! You couldn’t
fit your noses into a handkerchief
at my dinner party!
And for all your curves,
you couldn’t even seduce a rat.”

At this point, I try to interrupt Lisa
to remind her she hasn’t had her coffee yet.
It’s a cruel thing, Lisa, picking on
other portrait’s noses.

Lisa does not hear.
“Did you know that when Time
takes his evening stroll, he bends to dip
his hat at me?

“I have sprinkled seeds of poetry
in the hearts of thieves and kings.
Men have moaned in blood bath
over the curve of my lips.
Have you watched Napoleon weep
over his Josephine’s womb?
His King Louis XIV bent
in the shadow of your sails?
Do travelers mingle your name
with escargot and rare wine?

“But you, poor blazing masquerade,
are a rowboat in an ocean’s tide.”

And then the youth replies:

“I smack gum,
smoke jazz, and
sizzle
like graffiti
on summer- washed walls.
Oh, I throw!
my anchor into the stars

and sail

round heaven just for fun.

I am the symphony
of a hurricane!
           
my back a cello,
            my eyes,
trumpet blasts.

My laugh!
like bike bells
in a parade.
How I love
            to march,
                        march,
                                    march.

Oh Lisa, a sailor is better
with two noses,
and the masses will decide
my success.”

           
The people file in,
and the morning’s charm is broken.
I check my pocket watch.
It is a good hour for French toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment