Friday, February 1, 2013

God in Seattle


I think if God stepped into Seattle, he’d stand on the Ave in black pants,
maybe a hoodie, maybe as a guitar junkie. He might smell
from all his walking. He wouldn’t need a tip jar. I think if I listened
to his song and stepped into his gaze, he would shake up
all the institutions inside of me.

See, I speak of freedom, and I dream of it
in lecture halls, elections, new years resolutions, shiny cubicles, friendship solutions,
cleaner cuticles, Real Change dollars, and wedding cake kisses where the grass is always
leaner.
But my words serve to smother my other lover, keep her undercover
in the dark of my soul arteries, the tunnels where my life pulse
beats to the rhythm of my own drum.

She is the institution who sorts neighbors and friends into folders, a tab for the beautiful,
a tab for the ugly, for those admired, for those who make me feel guilty, for those who
shop or starve, for those who smoke weed, for those who button up high, for those
worthy, those unworthy. Sometimes
I forget you share my humanity,
I deny that
the hierarchy starts with me.

Might I rearrange and blame and maim
the institutions, the churches, the societies, the people
who abuse, who cause me to loose
my dignity,
the seed still lies inside of me.

If I travel in one pair of sandals,
collecting dust in all my travels,
building blisters and wrinkles,
I can not, will not, let anyone
important wash my feet.
God in Seattle just might kneel to.

What if
God has a better drum,
and a better name,
and a dream
that still plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment